Sunday, August 31, 2008

Love At First Listen: Nada Surf - "Beautiful Beat"

Nada Surf - Beautiful Beat

I. LOVE. THIS. SONG.

So I was in Starbucks a couple of weeks ago when this song first played on the store's satellite radio player and it sounded like Nada Surf. The music caught my attention immediately and lo and behold, it was Nada Surf's "Beautiful Beat" off their latest album Lucky. I have been quite a fan of the band since seeing them headline a concert at the Fillmore back in 2006. "Beautiful Beat" follows in the great tradition of catchy epic Nada Surf songs such as "Always Love" and "Concrete Bed".

On top of a hypnotic beat that trudges along in the song's entirety, the chorus is rich with strings and an instantly memorable melody of: "Beautiful beat, get my out of this mess // Beautiful beat, lift me up from distress..." The song's message is both heartbreaking, inspiring, and instantly relatable. Who hasn't had a bad day and the only thing that can console and comfort you is music? I know I've certainly had a few of those recently.

Save yourself a trip to the therapist and listen to their truly beautiful beat.

No comments: