Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fresh Video - Kelly Clarkson's "I Do Not Hook Up"

First off, I dig this song. Kelly Clarkson has taken a great demo by Katy Perry (her version was originally titled "Hook Up" and contained the line "Keep your thing in your pants and your heart on your sleeve"), enhanced it with her vocals and the help of the pop-rock production gleen of Howard Benson and made it her own. And for this potentially huge summer hit, Kelly gets to show off her sense of humor for second single off All I Ever Wanted, "I Do Not Hook Up". The video starts at a bougie brunch or function of some sort. A virtuous-looking Kelly eyes the waiter who is serving champagne and in her fantasy, she removes her conservative-looking sweater, revealing a red cocktail dress, agressively throws him onto the table, gets on top of him, and kisses him. The terrifying looks on the guests' faces were LOL-funny. In the second fantasy, Kelly is having a girls night-out at the bar and eyes a guy across the room who is playing pool. In fantasy mode, she gets into heavier drinking, plops on top of the table and at this point the video becomes a scene right out of Coyote Ugly. Another LOL-moment is when she slips off the table and falls into the bar with everyone in shock. In her graceful recovery, she gets on her feet, holding a beer bottle, and acts like nothing happened as she yells out "Woo!". Priceless. Gotta love a drunk Kelly Clarkson.

If I am allowed to nitpick, the only thing I can gripe about it was the fact that as a developed concept, the two fantasies didn't really relate to each other, and the only cohesive piece was infatuated Kelly. I love music videos with plot, but this one just seemed incomplete and left me wanting more than I what I actually saw. I think the first fantasy should have been further utilized because the "wealthy heiress falling in love with the help" storyline has oodles of entertainment potential, rather than the bar scenes. That, or simply just left the video as a "girls night out". Perhaps director Bryan Barber couldn't decide between the two and decided to keep both, and this is the result we see here?

No comments: