Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gavin DeGraw with Landon Pigg @ The Independent, 03.10.08 CANCELLED!

Last Monday night, March 10, 2008, I planned on attending the Gavin DeGraw & Landon Pigg concert at the Independent on Divisadero, but the worst possible thing that could happen to a concert-goer happened to me...

The Gavin DeGraw show was cancelled!

My friend Rochelle and I came to the venue a bit disheartened by the news. I've been psyching myself for this event and prepared by listening to Gavin DeGraw's Chariot and Landon Pigg's LP & Coffee Shop EP.

It wasn't a complete loss, because Gavin came out to explain the cancellation and personally apologize to his fans. His vocals were, in his words, "really fucked" as a result of straining it after shooting a music video for his latest single "In Love With A Girl" and the bumpy long five hour road trip from L.A. to San Francisco in a trailer. Since the show would not be rescheduled due to the tight calendar of events at the Independent, refunds would be issued for TicketNow customers. EDIT: He remained sick for several more days and had to cancel his L.A. gig the day after the SF show.

My tech-savvy friend and disappointed Gavin fan Mary captured his apology on video. She told me that she waited three years for Gavin to play another show. Take a look:


Video credit: marygotzskillz on YouTube

Gavin proved to be a nice guy, and after shaking the dude's hand, I told him how my friend and I came all the way from Hawaii and were bummed about the recent turn of events. He said he hopes to return to San Francisco and play.

He later signed autographs, took pics, and gave hugs to fans.

Without getting too earnest, he proved that even talented musicians are humans too. Above all, by personally staying at the venue, it was a sign of the respect he has to the fans who came to witness his craft. And although this was my first non-musical concert experience, I still most definitely want to catch a live Gavin show in the near future.

Don't forget to support Gavin by purchasing his self-titled album when it comes out on May 6.


1 comment:

Maricel said...

I didn't know he had an accent. Lucky you eh.. I never get one of those things a concerts for them to sign.. like i always get one of the upcoming ones... argh. Good stuff :)